Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is working with Cash App to receive a portion of his $ 22 million salary in Bitcoin this season.
Oh yeah, and he’s giving away $ 1 million in Bitcoin to his fans. ??
Nike, Epic Games / Design: Alex Brooks
More than one big company is moving to the meta: Nike seems to be gearing up to bring its branded sneakers and apparel to virtual environments.
The company deposit a trademark application for its swoosh logo and slogan “Just Do It” in “downloadable virtual products, namely, computer programs containing shoes, clothing, headgear, glasses, bags … for use online and in online virtual worlds. “
The brand appears to be laying the groundwork for Nike branded clothing in the metaverse and other digital environments.
While the metaverse is receiving special attention due to the rebranding from Facebook to Meta and the focus on virtual technology, Nike has been exploring digital products for at least two years.
- In May 2019, Nike’s Jordan brand partnered with “Fortnite”To produce character skins wearing Nike sneakers.
- Nike has filed a patent for “CryptoKicksIn December 2019, which would link the physical shoes to an NFT to verify ownership. The patent also included technology to combine two models of sneakers into a new one.
The company’s real-world products have been affected by supply chain issues. Nike could lose up to 160 million pairs of shoes due to factory closures in Vietnam, which supplies about half of its shoes.
The company saw its profits increase 12% year-on-year to reach $ 12.2 billion during the fiscal quarter ending August 31.
Fresh off its new Facebook image, Meta announced last week that it has acquired fitness company VR Within.
Within makes the VR Supernatural workout app a subscription fitness app for Meta-owned Oculus Quest. The program offers workouts, games, music and virtual reality environments. On October 26, he added boxing to his catalog.
Inside raised $ 56.6 million, mainly from its last round of funding, a $ 40 million Series B in July 2017. Temasek and Emerson Collective led the round, which joined WPP, Macro Ventures and existing investors Andreessen Horowitz, 21st Century Fox and Raine Ventures.
The company also lists Endeavor-owned WME, LiveNation and Vice agencies among its investors.
“We believe that fitness will be a huge success in virtual reality,” said Meta in an announcement of the acquisition of Within.
- It is believed that Meta is working on a smart watch with movement and biometric tracking capabilities.
- In June, the company acquired the virtual esports company Big Box VR.
- He acquired Ready at dawn, creator of the ‘Lone Echo’ movement-driven VR game series, in June 2020.
- In November 2019, he bought Beating games, creator of the popular VR training game “Beat Saber”.
Meta plans to release an active pack for its Oculus Quest 2 headset next year to make the gear better suited for intense workouts.
Amazon / Design: Alex Brooks
Seattle opened its new arena in December 2018, and last year Amazon bought naming rights for an estimated $ 300-400 million. Last month, the Climate Pledge Arena hosted the Seattle Kraken’s first-ever NHL home game.
The $ 1.2 billion The arena’s goal is to become “the world’s first net zero carbon arena”. The name of the facility comes from Amazon’s Climate Pledge initiative, which promises to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2040.
The arena, also the new home of the WNBA’s Seattle Storm, has a long way to go to achieve its goal.
- Tim Leiweke, CEO of Oak View Group, who owns 51% building – argues that the return on investment is not obvious and that it will take work for the building to meet its goals.
- “I believe our fans and sponsors will respect us and the rewards will come, but first you have to lead and take a chance,” said Leiweke.
The team broke the NHL sales record for the first five days of a new jersey, selling nearly $ 1 million worth of merchandise in his first preseason game.
The site’s emissions will be counted at the end of each year, and together Amazon and Oak View Group will offset any carbon produced by purchasing credits from environmental restoration programs.
Samsung / Design: Alex Brooks
Samsung is helping power much of the video game industry, driving unprecedented profits for the world’s largest chipmaker.
The Korean tech giant will invest $ 206 billion over the next three years, with a focus on producing chips so essential to its business.
- Last year, she signed a multi-million dollar deal with Nvidia to manufacture chips for the computer hardware and games company.
- In June, the company entered into a strategic partnership with AMD to produce graphics cards for gamers.
- He partnered with Nintendo to produce the new OLED switch, featuring a panel made by Samsung.
Samsung posted a record third quarter revenue of $ 63 billion this year, an increase of 10% from the previous year. The company saw third-quarter profits reach $ 13 billion, a 26% year-over-year increase.
The results were driven by Samsung’s semiconductor division, which benefited from demand for computer chips amid a global shortage. The segment almost doubled its operating profit for $ 8.6 billion, compared to $ 4.8 billion in the third quarter of 2020.
In August, Samsung announced its intention to carry out mergers and acquisitions to strengthen its position in the tech sector. The company has not made a major acquisition for four years.
- The Best Employers in Sport are back! Whether it’s excellent leadership, a commitment to D&I, employee well-being, or social endeavors, the BES award seeks to recognize organizations that do good with their teams. The the investigation is open now until November 12!
- The International Handball Federation has amended its rules for women’s uniforms following criticism of the fine imposed on a Norwegian team for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms.
- Sega noted it is exploring an alliance with Microsoft to develop games using Xbox cloud gaming technology.
- Sportradar is now that of UEFA first authorized exclusive collector and distributor of data for betting purposes.
Do you think the metaverse will become mainstream in the next decade?
65% of respondents are excited for the World Cup to arrive in American cities in 2026.
* All times are EST, unless otherwise noted.
* Dimensions / lines subject to change. The T & Cs apply. See draftkings.com/sportsbook for more details.